The Live Oak Garden Club
was organized in 1936 and Federated in 1937. Mrs. Walt Nants called
together a number of ladies in the community to start up the club. They
remodeled the old Baptist Pastorium which at that time was heated by a wood
burning stove. A novice gardener was the president of the club and had the vice
president, secretary, and treasurer organize three circles. They had three
general meetings September to May (1936) and the membership was between 75-100.
During the war, (1943-44), the garden club disbanded. They came back together in
1945 with the same president, Bernice Lee who served until 1948. They organized
a very active men’s group and together they acquired a lot and eventually a
garden club building. When the building was completed, they celebrated in style
with a great dedication wearing formal attire.
of ladies and gentlemen did not let grass grow under their feet. They were
responsible for so many beautification projects in the city, including planting
dogwood trees on the Suwannee Street; redbud trees on Pine Avenue; sponsoring a
junior garden club; tour of homes at Christmas; dedicated garden behind the city
hall; wildflowers grown along the median on Highway 129 and so much more.
building of the Garden Club was constructed in 1961; the club continued to meet
in circles until 1995, currently the club meets monthly at the clubhouse.
land behind the City Hall was turned into a park dedicated to the president of
the Garden Club and roses were planted at the site by the club. Comprehensive
Community Services (CCS) was a community project of the Garden Club with hands on events
with the clients of (CCS). The Garden Club has continued to work with (CCS) to the present.
In 1976, the caladium bulb project took place with the planting of bulbs at the clubhouse
and has continued to be a project to the present. Flower shows were common in
the 1970-1980’s. At one of the shows, the judges quotes, “one of the most
beautiful shows we’ve ever seen and one of the hardest we’ve ever judged."
In November, 1983
members attended World Garden Grow Inaugural Day at Cypress Gardens. Live
Oak Garden Club has been placed on a plaque in the Garden that will stay there
forever. 1999-2001 under the guidance of President Gwyn Herrington, a dedication
and landscaping of Live Oak Blue Star Memorial was put in place with a huge
participation from members of the community and local officials. In 2000– the
Garden Club dedicated a beautiful butterfly garden at a local nursing home,
[Surrey Place] and that year celebrated the membership of 102 members.
In January, 2004
the club began their project of the Friendship Garden on our grounds and
held a great dedication ceremony in August of that year.
The Live Oak Garden Club
has continued to work and dedicate themselves with the learning and
sharing of garden information among the members and community. Annual events of
Fall Festival, Spring Extravaganza, scarecrow contests, decorating the city of
Live Oak in the fall, candlelight dinners, Valentine Tea, and so much more have
continued to keep us connected to the beauty of all around us that God has
provided and we must continue to care for many years to come.
Upgrades to our building began in 2011 and in 2014 the
kitchen renovation was completed .
BLUE STAR MEMORIAL