The Live Oak Garden Club was organized in 1936, and Mrs. Bernice Lee was elected as their president. The club met in the old Baptist Pastorium which at time was heated by a wood burning stove. In 1937, the club joined the National Garden Clubs and Florida Federation of Garden Clubs. During the war, (1943-44), the garden club disbanded. They came back together in 1945with the same president, Mrs. Lee, who served until 1948. The city of Live Oak donated land for them to build a clubhouse. The building was completed in 1961, and they celebrated in style with a great dedication party wearing formal attire. Over the years the club has been responsible for many beautification projects in the community. During 1999-2001, under the guidance of President Gwyn Herrington, a dedication and landscaping of a Blue Star Memorial was put in place at Veteran’s Park with great fanfare from members of the community and local officials.
BLUE STAR MEMORIAL
January 2004, the club began their project of creating a friendship garden on the grounds of the clubhouse. This garden is currently undergoing a redo with the help of the men and women in our club. The club presents monthly gardening programs as well as annual events for the public such as its fall and spring festivals, candlelight dinners, and Valentine teas for seniors in nursing homes. Some of these fundraisers such as its caladium bulb sale and building rentals allow the club to provide scholarships, send youth to a summer camp in Longwood, FL, pay tuition for high school students to attend a summer environmental conference, and support many community projects. The club is open to gardeners and non-gardeners alike as it offers a variety of programs and opportunities for members to make new friends, understand environmental concerns, go on interesting field trips, attend workshops, and so much more. Yes, we love gardening, but you don’t have to be an expert or even have a garden to be part of our club. You are so welcome.